July 20, 2010

Blog Tutorial

I apologize for the delay in this tutorial. I wrote it out about a month ago, but never got around to posting it. Finally, here it is!

For almost my entire first year of blogging, I used Blogger's picture uploader to post pictures to my blog. At that point, I didn't know there was another way to do it. Then, out of nowhere, my pictures started disappearing, even pictures from my very first post!! I thought it was strange, but I didn't worry about it too much. Okay, that's a lie. I was freaking out! At first I thought maybe it was a Blogger glitch, and I hoped it would resolve after a day or two. I looked every day to see if my pictures had reappeared. Nope, they were gone for good. Oh, it lit a fire under me. Almost a year later, I am still in the process of fixing each and every blog post that had a disappearing picture. Talk about a pain in the booty.

So, I fired Blogger's picture uploader, and vowed to never use it again. I did a little research {i.e. asked my husband} about an alternative to Blogger's picture uploader, and he introduced me to Photobucket. At first, it seemed like a lot of work, but I am very glad I made the switch. There are tons of benefits to using an external site to post pictures to your blog.

So, tonight, I thought I'd give you a little tutorial and share with you how I upload my pictures to my blog posts. Also I will show you how to edit the size of your image when you post it to your blog. Sound good?

At first it may seem a little overwhelming because it's different than what you're used to, but I promise you after a couple times of doing it, you will be a pro. And really, it's very simple to do.

First thing you need to do is choose a host such a Photobucket {that's what I use} or Flickr. They are basically the same, so just pick which one you prefer. For this tutorial, I will be using Photobucket for my examples. I'll wait while you sign up for one.

Ok, glad you're back. Now that you have signed up, click "my home." And this is what you should see:

Photobucket

On the next step there are two different options:
  • Before using Photobucket, you can edit the size of the image in either Photoshop or Lightroom if you have one of those programs -or-
  • You can upload your image into Photobucket if you don't have one of those programs and edit there
Don't fret if you don't have Photoshop. The only reason I have it is because my husband always has to have the latest and greatest computer software. But, I am thankful he is that way because I love Photoshop! Anyway, for this tutorial, we will just edit the image in Photobucket so I can show you how to do it.

Ok, so do you see my lovely little arrow? Click that box where it says, "Upload Images and Videos."

Photobucket
A box like below will pop up and you will need to find where you saved your picture. Once you've located your picture:

Photobucket

Once you click open, then it will begin uploading your image. I picked the picture of Noah at Mayfest. It is now in my album. There are four words above the picture: edit, move, share, and delete. Click edit.

Photobucket

This is the screen you will see. Click the fourth button at the top that says, "Resize."

Photobucket

Then this screen will pop up.

Photobucket

The top number I always use for rounded corners are: 555; without rounded corners: 560. When you put that number in the first box, it will then figure out your dimensions for you. Then click "Apply." Once you apply it, then at the bottom {below the picture} you will click the box that says, "Save a Copy." Or if you are sure those are the dimensions you want to use, you can click the box that says, "Replace Original." Anytime I am playing around with a picture to find the right size, I always save a copy. Otherwise I would be stuck with those dimensions. As you are editing the size of your images for your blog, you may just have to play around with it until you find the perfect size. Just experiment and have fun!

Next, on the very left side of your image, you will see a box that says, "Share this Image." It has four different options to choose from. Click on "HTML code" and it will copy it for you.

Photobucket

You still with me? It seems like a lot of steps, but really it is so simple once you get used to the process. We are almost to the end. So, now that you have your HTML code copied, go to your blog post like I have here and copy and paste the code:

Photobucket

Then click "Preview" and there you have it. Your picture is now in your blog post:

Photobucket

Just repeat the process with the other pictures you want to post. I felt a little overwhelmed at first when I started using Photobucket to upload my pictures, but it was not long at all before it was a very quick, easy process.

Hope this tutorial was helpful. If you have any questions at all, just shoot me an email and I'll be happy to help ya out.

Photobucket

p.s. Next blog tutorial will cover rounding the corners of your pictures.

6 comments:

Erica Nye said...

I am so overwhelmed! I may have to stick with blogspot upload, but your blog is so much cuter than mine. I can't wait until I stay at home and can devote more time to it.

Cindy said...

I think I may have to try this...and rounding the corners...count me in! I want to learn!

Amanda said...

You are so smart!!! Makes me want to switch to blogger. Almost. ;)
You do great work girl!

Amanda

Larissa said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm ready for the next ones! :)

Joanna said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to lay this out for us! Saved me time to spend elsewhere! Your amazing!

Shelley said...

This is so great - thanks for posting this tutorial! I'm going to start using this right away. Your other tutorials are fabulous too. I've gone through several already!